• question-icon

What does my CT coronary angiography result report indicate?

Posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Recently I got done CT Coronary Angiography. Though multiple deposits on the left side are noticed but they are less than 30%. My 2-D Eco is clean. However, my calcium score is 604. How serious is this and what precautions should I take to avoid any heart related problem in future.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Go for stress thallium test.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for query dear.
Deposits less then 70% has no clinical significance.
Calcium deposits in vessel is a normal physiologic process and starts after age of 10 years.
On the other hand-
Calcium Score     Presence of CAD
0      No evidence of CAD
1-10      Minimal evidence of CAD
11-100      Mild evidence of CAD
101-400      Moderate evidence of CAD
Over 400      Extensive evidence of CAD
As per the calcium score probability of cardiac disease is very high.
Ct coronary is a non sensitive over hyped test it has sensitivity less then 60%.

I would suggest you to go for stress thallium test(non invasive and more then 98% sensitive).
Before coming to precautions for future lets first rule out ongoing cardiac disease first.
Hope i was helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 48 hours later
At the outset I would like to thank you for your valuable advice. Please note that I do not have any symptoms such as pain, breathlessness on walking or climbing. I am also a non smoker. I am attaching all the reports for your kind perusal and final advice. Regards.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Frankly speaking.
There are two protocols-
1)Indian protocol(cost effective)-As all tests are normal except moderately deranged Ct coronary. You could assume that every thing is normal.Cardiologist would say that ok no further tests required but will nebver give you a written clearance.
2)Standard protocol-All these tests like Ct etc are designed to rule out even the slightest possibility of coronary event. So if there is something wrong with a particular test result we should go for better and specific investigations to rule out CAD(that is what these basic tests are designed for-to rule out possibilities of CAD)
So if 10-15k is not a issue advice is go for stress thallium its anon invasive test almost 98% sensitive.
You are 62 hypertensive dyslipidemic(on anti platelet and statin) a better suggestion is to go for stress thallium./
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 18 minutes later
Thanks for the useful suggestion. Should I go in for stress thallium immediately or I can wait for some time. Meanwhile could you suggest medication for minimising/dissolving calcium deposits so as to cut down calcium score within safe limits. Regards.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hey again,
Its not urgent.You could take your time.
As per as clot is concerned you are already on clavilip 75/20 for that so no other medication could be given unless we are sure that there are clots.
However you should start-
Walking for 20 minutes a day with minimum speed of 5 km/hr try to increase your capacity by 10% every week.
Strenous exercise should be done for 45 minutes a day for minimum of 5 days a week. Strenous means you should be sweating vigrously within 10 minutes.
Take saffola or rice XXXXXXX oil in food.No ghee butter cheese etc.
Take 5 gram of ON fiber supplements daily.
Fish oil capsule can be taken once everyday.
Always take imported supplements only.
Thanks.

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist