What does my CT and endoscopy tests result indicate?

Question
The results of my CT and endoscopy tests showed thickening of left wall of the stomach, colon and duodenum.
I am a 67 year old woman and have constant pressure on my left side in the vicinity of my left rib cage and when the pressure increases my blood pressure increases considerably.
What causes this condition and I should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Concerned..? Yes. Worried...not at this time!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this ct finding of thickened walls of the stomach, duodenum and colon on the left side. What I will like to know is whether thee structures were close to one another or on different parts of the abdomen? Also, do you have diarrhea?

I am of the suspicion that this thickening is probably caused by inflammation. This inflammation is mostly like as a result of irritation by a structure in the vicinity of all these structures. What this structure is remains unknown but your doctor should look carefully on the CT scan to see if there is no suspicious neighboring structure that may be responsible for the chronic irritation and thickening of these structures.

In these thickened structures are not side by side, please ask to see a gastroenetrologist for biopsy and analysis to understand what the exact cause is. This will help in making the treatment decision.

It is normal to be concerned when something abnormal is reported. However, getting worried when it is not confirmed as being pathological and not easily treatable would not help provide solutions and answers that we long for.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.