What does my CAT scan report indicate?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Lump
Question: I had a cat scan that showed a wide range of results including nonspecific sub centimeter mesentric and retro peritoneal lymph nodes. I have been having stomach problems that the gastro Doctor doesn't know what it is causing it could this be causing my stomach problems? I have water and what looks like mucus coming out when I go to the bathroom, no stool.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get a proper diagnosis as detailed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/62 - CAT scan showing non-specific subcentimeter mesenteric and retroperitoneal LNs - water and mucus and no stool - Gastro Doctor does not know - tried Dicyclomin ....
My thoughts from your short history without any other reports:
- Stool tests of 3 consecutive days is a very important step, helps in many a cases.
- Colonoscopy and biopsy may help further.
- Ruling out any medical diseases like hyperthyroidism, diabetes, tuberculosis and so on.
- Lymph node biopsy can be of a great help when medical management fails to resolve your problems.

Please discuss with your Doctors, take a second opinion of a Surgical Gastroenterologist or a General Surgeon for clinical evaluation, investigations and planning for further investigations to get a proper diagnosis and a plan of management.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 2 days later
I have to turn in 3 stool samples. The script says ova & parasite X3. Does that mean 3 consecutive stools and it isfor 3 days does it need to be refigerated or can it be kept at room temp.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fresh sample each day - at room temperature.

Detailed Answer:
Fresh Stool sample to be sent to the lab on daily basis/fresh sample every day.
Usually a single day test is done.
But doing this daily for 3 days with fresh new samples of each day helps in not missing the diagnosis.
It can be kept at room temperature as submitted as soon as possible.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D