• question-icon

    What does my BP reading indicate?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i have a blood pressure reading of 158/108 should i go to the er
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Are you symptomatic? If so, visit the ER

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.
Would you clarify a few things for me?

*do you have any other medical issues other than thyroid disease? Are you a hypertensive? Or diabetic?
*did you any stressful event or activity today?
* do you have any symptoms like chest discomfort, giddiness, sweating, breathing difficulty, digestion troubles, headache, palpitations?
*any family history of heart disease or hypertension?

I recommend :
-you lie down for 10 minutes and check your pressure again, in both arms.
Check again while sitting. It is best of you have another person who is familiar with the procedure help you with taking the reading.
-if the values are same, or you have any of the above symptoms, then talk to your doctor or visit the ER right away.
-if it has reduced, monitor the pressure every 4 hrs. Note it down. If it normalizes, then it's OK. See your doctor to make sure all is well.

If your diastolic (the lower value) stays above 90 and/or your systolic (higher value) stays more than 150,see your doctor for:
-electrocardiogram and echocardiogram
-blood tests (complete blood count, liver and kidney function tests, lipid profile, blood glucose panel)
-chest x-ray.
-urine analysis.

Based on this appropriate treatment can be initiated.
Hope this helps. Do not drive. Take someone along with you.
Please let me know if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 1087 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Chest discomfort

doctor1 MD

I have a knott in the Y of my rib cage, just below rib cage! It gives me discomfort when pressing on it or bending over. I am having indigestion...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am 19 weeks pregnant and I am having a feeling of trapped air bubbles in my chest. I have a gluten intolerance and I often experience...

doctor1 MD

I have a bit of a problem: when I burp my heart rate goes up and it's not just one burp then it's over its about five with-in a span of 30 minutes...

doctor1 MD

i had chest tightness when playing tennis. went to E.R.

doctor1 MD

i have been feeling discomfort in my whole left side for a few weeks now. left arm, left chest area, left part of the neck. any ideas for at-home...

doctor1 MD

Hi My Age is 26 and height of 5 10 and weight 53kgs, i was suffering with gastric problems from the past 4years i consulted a internal medicine...

doctor1 MD

Cant breath, cant sleep, feel legs and ar s burn , sweat, feel hot but one day my body temperature was 35 degrees C. Feel chest discomfort, like a...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

133 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
  • Q - What causes severe kidney pain with a history of kidney stones?

  • Q - What causes weakness, fatigue, burping, nausea and concentration problems?

  • Q - How do Probiotics help in treating acne?

  • Q - Suggest remedies for a bruise on chin post an injury

  • Q - Does prolonged intake of Nexium result in memory loss and alzheimers?

  • Q - What causes blurry vision, low BP, constant headache and chest pain?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for swelling through out body in a heart patient

  • Q - Does intake of Zincovit help in curing yawing, lethargy and memory issues?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for reddish scaly lesions on face

  • Q - What causes lower abdominal pain, frequent urination and bladder leakage?