What does multiple myeloma cells present in the spinal fluid indicate?

Oncologist
Question
What does it mean when multiple myeloma cells are present in the spinal fluid and is there still chance for treatment and remission
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

A couple of considerations. 1st of all I would want to know why they did the spinal tap. Also myeloma cells per se is somewhat nonspecific. I wonder if they really said plasma cells. If there are circulating plasma cells within the spinal fluid it may indicate that there might be a bone marrow disorder going on.

Additional testing probably needs to be done and you are Dr. we will talk about this with you. If you have not seen a local hematologist I would recommend that you request a referral to have this type of specialist review your test results and consider ordering additional studies.

It is possible in some cases of multiple myeloma that the circulating plasma cells can enter the spinal fluid. This does have some treatment implications in some patients and may affect how Drs. discuss or administer treatment.

I do not have much other background information regarding your case. If you would like to provide some history or possibly copies of laboratory studies this might be helpful for additional conversation.

Thanks again for sending your question and sharing your healthcare concerns with us.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga Della XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does multiple myeloma cells present in the spinal fluid indicate? 12 hours later
Was diagnosed with multiple myeloma about a year ago have had chemo radiation to shrink some tumors and I had a stem cell transplant about 4 months ago they ran my blood work 3 weeks ago it was excellent I began having a horrible reaction to zometa I went to the hospital my numbers were all over the place my ldh was 4500 they did the puncture to see if there was an infection the results were inconclusive but they said multiple myeloma cells were present does this mean there is no treatment that will help do I still have a chance to obtain remission

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
It sounds like you had some type of adverse reaction to the Zometa. hopefully this has slowly improved over time.

The results of the spinal tap might suggest that some myeloma cells may be active in the bone marrow. sometimes chemo may be directly infused into the spinal fluid. your oncologist will decide if this is absolutely needed.

try to remain optimistic. there are still multiple therapies which may be used to help maintain your remission.

sincerely,

dr Galamaga.