What does mild prominence of bilateral lateral ventricles of scan during pregnancy indicate?

Question
Hi, I am 27 years old and I am 19 weeks pregnant. I just had my 2D 20W anomaly scan. The radiologist and the doctor said that there is a mild prominence of bilateral lateral ventricles, anterior horn (3mm) and occipital horn (5mm) and they told that there is nothing to be concerned about it. I am also suffering from thyroid also. Now I am taking 25mg Thyroxine medicine every morning with empty stomach. Is anything to worry about the baby's health?
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mostly a normal finding.

Detailed Answer:

In one percent of the pregnancies, widening of the lateral ventricles is a common finding. To be considered significant, they should measure more than 10 mm. across the width. A measurement of 10-15 mm. is considered mild to moderate while if it is more than 15 mm., further investigations become necessary.

As your values are way less than this, you need not worry. Just go for a repeat sonogram after a month to be on the safe side. Most of the mild enlargements regress spontaneously before delivery.

Use of thyroxin is safe in pregnancy and please continue. The requirement in fact, increases in pregnancy and periodic checking of the hormone status is necessary to see if there is any need to increase the dose.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for any more information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: What does mild prominence of bilateral lateral ventricles of scan during pregnancy indicate? 9 minutes later
Hi Doctor.....whats the reason for this widening of lateral ventricles?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Caused by raised fluid inside.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

There are several reasons for the widening of the lateral ventricles. This happens essentially due to an excess of cerebro-spinal fluid or CSF,that is contained in the ventricles. They are as follows:

-- obstructions to the flow of CSF caused by tumors or congenital infractions
--hemorrhages
--chromosomal anomalies
--congenital malformations, which are usually associated with some other features.
--infection.

Most often, the cause can go undetected and the abnormality gets spontaneous resolution.

Hope I have answered your doubt. Please get back if you need more information. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: What does mild prominence of bilateral lateral ventricles of scan during pregnancy indicate? 3 hours later
Thanks Doctor for the answer you have given me...

Again one more thing I want to know is that whether this widening of lateral ventricle has the connection with hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism?. If yes, please give the reason for that also...

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not shown to be related.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

Abnormal thyroid profile has not been shown to cause such defects in studies. Thyroid disorders can lead to birth defects like cleft palate, cleft foot, heart problems etc. and also intrauterine growth restriction, if the disorder is left uncorrected during pregnancy.

Hope all your queries have been answered. Please contact if you need any information. I will be available to help.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.