What does mild peripheral cortical atrophy mean?

Dr. Karen Steinberg

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: what does mild peripheral cortical atrophy is noted along bothe cerebral convexities with prominence of the extra axial csf spaces, primarily at the vertex in a frontal distribution - my ct without contrast results
my symptoms have been severe headaches, memory loss, tremors, neuralgia
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The CT suggests some brain cell degeneration

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Atrophy is shrinkage or degeneration of the cells. This is happening in the outer portion of the brain cortex towards the front of your brain. The cortex is the outer layer of the brain. If the brain shrinks a little, spaces where the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is located will appear more prominent. CSF surrounds the whole brain and is also present in several spaces within the brain; it also goes down into the spinal cord. Sometimes mild changes like this can occur with aging, but you are not that old and you are having neurological symptoms that could be related to a process causing the atrophy.

I assume you are seeing your regular doctor or a neurologist, and this is a first step towards diagnosing whatever is causing your symptoms. You should ask your doctor about a referral to a neurologist if you haven't seen one yet. A variety of conditions can create these findings and a neurologist is the specialist most familiar with them. He or she would know the next appropriate tests to do. Bloodwork and a brain MRI are some of the tests I would consider next.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T