What does metastasis in bone scan indicate?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Cancer
Question: Was treated (brachtology) in 1998 and PSA went to 0.2 has slowly raised back up to 2.8. Bone scan shows mild metastases in hip and tail bone area. WIll do CT Scan this week. Question - Does metastases usually mean cancer has entered lymph nodes at some place?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
cancer has spread to bones.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Metastasis means spread of cancer from its primary site to distant sites.
The distant site can be lymph node or other organs most common being lungs, bone, brain and liver.
Cancer of prostate metastasis to bone commonly.
Metastasis of prostate is characterized by increase in PSA levels.
Metastasis is a poor prognostic sign and it implies poor 5 year survival.

Metastases in hip and tail bone does not mean metastases to lymph nodes.
Metastasis to lymph node is a separate entity.

Metastasis to distant site in cancer prostate is managed by chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy.
Thus, yo will need to start with your treatment again.

Consult, your oncologist after CT scan for further management.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I understand it. One follow up question. My oncologist is talking about hormone injection rather than radiation. Do you have any thoughts regarding that type treatment.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prostatic carcinoma responds to hormones.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,
Yes prostatic carcinoma is one of the carcinoma which responds well to hormone treatment.
The proliferation of prostate takes pace under the influence of testosterone, thus, antagonist to testosterone is helpful in treatment and control of the malignancy.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal