What does low hemoglobin levels suggest?
It depends on the cause
it depends on the cause. Low hemoglobin (anemia) can be caused by various conditions including:
- blood loss (possibly related to antithrombotic treatment)
- hemolysis (hereditary anemias, various acquired hemolytic anemias, metallic heart valves etc)
- lack of nutrients (like iron, folic acid and vitamin B12)
- defective production (myelodysplastic syndrome, anemia of chronic disease etc)
This means that investigation is required to determine the cause first.
Some very basic tests include: complete blood count, iron, ferritin, vitamin B12, folic acid, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, reticulocytes, urea, creatinine, urinalysis and a thorough medical history.
If you have more information to provide, I'll be glad to guide you further.
I get the blood back to normal. The hemoglobin drop was from 11 to 9.
sure you can
if the reason was blood loss then of course you can get it back to the previous value, although a hemoglobin of 11 is low already and needs investigation.
Taking iron supplements might help your body to create new red blood cells faster. Expect full recovery of your hematocrit (and hemoglobin) in less than a month.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Low levels 91 hemoglobin
- What is considered a severe low hemoglobin level
- Low hemoglobin levels and acne
- What is considered low hemoglobin levels
- Low hemoglobin level at 78
- What causes low hemoglobin levels
- Have low hemoglobin level what are the risk
- Low hemoglobin level in osteosarcoma
- What is the treatment for low hemoglobin levels during pregnancy
- What do you correct a low hemoglobin level