What does low blood sugar level in a pre diabetic patient indicate?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I was diagnosed with pre diabetis due to post pandrial reading 163 four days back.since four days am not I haven't had any sugary things and followed strict diet and walked 4kms daily.Now today I had lunch at 1:30pm and hadn't had any snacks .but when I checked at 7:00pm my reading is 65.is that because of am diabetic.I felt anxiety due to low reading.can u elobarate my situation.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
please get a Fasting blood glucose and Hba1c

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Noted your concern. It is not clear if you checked blood glucose with a gucometer or at a lab. Please be aware that, glucometer is not a good tool to diagnose diabetes or prediabetes. It is only a monitoring tool.

Your reading of 65 in the late evening is on the lower side and with that, we can not come to a conclusion about your diabetes or prediabetes status.
May i suggest yourself to under go tests for diabetes at a lab. You shold request for a fasting blood sugar and HbA1c.

Binu

Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 7 hours later
my fasting at 101 and post pandrial after having breakfast is 163(lab results).I am having health problems like bloating and stomach pain.is that related to pre diabetes.when I checked today at home.the reading is 83 fasting and 151 post lunch.how to cure pre diabetes.how many years I ll fall in to diabetis range.I have sore throat as well.do I need to start medication
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diet Exercise, weight reduction and Metformin

Detailed Answer:
Good evening,
Bloating and stoach pain is unrelated to prediabetes. Pre diabetes need risk stratification. You need to ndergo 75 gram glucose tolerence test. Along with that, please do an HbA1c, Lipid profile as well.

You need to do regular physical exercise and lose weight. This will help to reverse prediabetes and will help you to prevent or postpone diabetes. Metformin is an excellent drug which can be used in pre diabetes .

Try life style modification and diet restriction first. In 3 months time, if there is no improvement, then you may start on Metformin.

Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 6 minutes later
OK.my lipid profile is normal.I have done that test too.and my bp is good.metformin if I start do I need to take it life long?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please try life style modification first

Detailed Answer:
No medicine is as effective as life style modification. Please try that first. Prediabetes can be followed by Diabetes later. Even in Type 2 diabetes, the first drug which we try is Metformin. If you lose weight significantly and if you are physically very active, we may be able to stop Metformin.
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 24 minutes later
just checked two hours after eating 4 chapathies for dinner.it is 123.is that fine?I checked using accu check glucose meter.wen I eat rice in the lunch and checked two hours after it is 153.so I should stop eating rice to maintain glucose level under normal limits right
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Reduce rice.

Detailed Answer:
Reduce rice especially white rice. Chappathi also shoud be reduced. Please meet a dietician. It is better to avoid rice at night.