What does low alkaline phosphatase level indicate?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: through random drug test my case worker said my pH level was way high and said it would be a false positive. however i was having headaches hence taking Aleve. I had a few other symptoms and google all pointed to a hepatic test. the only thing out of range was the alkaline phosphatase. i then took three more test which nothing was out of range. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It's within normal range...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I have gone through the reports of your blood test and noted everything was within normal range.

It is true that your alkaline phosphatase was reported out of range (low). However, taking into account that your ALT and AST and bilirubin were within normal range, then, nothing worrisome.

Taking into consideration that the normal range of alkaline phosphatas is 25 to up to 100. Yours is at the lowest limit, which makes me think of problems related to:
- bowels (celiac disease)
- poor diet (malnutrition)

I advise to
- schedule appointment with GI specialist
- repeat testing after 3 weeks to evaluate it further. If it will be within the normal range,then, nothing to worry about.

As the blood tests are carried out automatically, the analyzer (which is also automatic) can read the results wrongly, ending up with such levels. Once again, I do not find it worrisome.

Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 8 minutes later
it came up out of range because it was lower than 40. my first test was at 23. i need to give my case worker a reason why 3 out of 5 my last drug screens were high pH.. i can have her email me the results tomorrow and possibly forward copy. any ideas or could malnutrition raise level too.. headaches?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 38 hours later
Brief Answer:
New data are needed as following....

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

You are reporting high blood pH, which, in fact, I did not see in the tests reports you upload. Can you please provide the test where blood pH resulted high?

Generally speaking, high pH is indicating that bicarbonate anions are higher than normal while hydrogen levels are reduced. There are many causes to these changes including metabolic and respiratory problems. That's why I need to have a look at the pH myself and to analyze it further the levels of blood ions.

Looking forward to have the requested data in!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 hours later
Ok. my apologies,
my case worker said it was pH. she was wrong. also this was a urine drug test we are now referencing. (Screen Cutoff)
On 5-13-14 Creatinine Urine>>>>>>362.1 H>>>>>>20.0-300.0
On 5-28-14 Creatinine Urine>>>>>>279.7 >>>>>>20.0-300.0
On 6-16-14 Creatinine Urine>>>>>>309.7 H>>>>>>20.0-300.0
On 6-26-14 Creatinine Urine>>>>>>141.2 >>>>>>20.0-300.0

On my own, because caseworker said it was my pH, i bought the pH saliva strips and measured them my self and they were consistanly high
I Have not used drugs in over a year. my eating has not changed. everything came up negative on the drug screen but because of creatinine high on two dates she wants doctors interpertation.
Here is was has changed, new girlfriend. could both creatinine and low ALP be as simple as a result of UTI or STD. if not please guide me to my next blood test or doctor, if not already the same adivice as earlier mentioned.thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following answers to your queries...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXXXXX

Please let me go through your queries step by step:

First, blood pH has nothing to do with saliva pH. They are 2 different things. I still do not have your blood pH in for further analysis.

Next, it is true that your urine creatinine level was high on May screening; while it it within normal range in the XXXXXXX reports. This makes me think of :
- consuming high meat diet at the time you take the May screening. Then, you have followed a healthy diet regimen with less meat resulting in improvement of creatinine levels in urine
- rhamdomyolisis (muscle breakdown) : perhaps you had a high physical activity prior to testing that has given such effects
- you might have taken a supplement to increase your body muscles

I exclude other uro-genital problems because you are reporting:
- not taking any medication apart vitamins
- the test resulted within normal range on XXXXXXX screening

However, I should have the full report of your urine analysis to definitely rule out UTI.

Regarding STDs, as you are having a new girlfriend recently, I highly suggest to get STDs screening both of you.

Eating table salt within acceptable levels won't affect your kidneys. But, if you eat "a lot" of table salt then, this can cause kidney problems (which might also cause high creatinine levels).

At the end, I advise to run:
- urine analysis
- STDs testing
- do not exceed taking table salt
- diabetes and lipid profile testing

and monitor your blood pressure.

Hope it helped!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 42 hours later
Hi last question as far as to whom i am talking. my i have any credentials
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can view my public profile at the following link..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXXXXX

You can check my public profile at the following link:

http://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-albana-sejdini/66604

Thank you!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 days later
I'll go in today and do more test the newest symptom is my urine is starting to turn red. When I try to see if its red its seems to be clean however if I hold it such as overnight the first pee is red the darkest after that following urine seems to be fine all day.any more suggestions
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Highly concentrated urine...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXXXXX

The darkest red color of your urine first in the morning is indicative for highly concentrated urine. I am sure if you run the urine analysis, the pH will result low (5 till 6). It is normal to have concentrated urine first in the morning.

Urine may become more concentrated if:
- you do not consume too much water or liquids during the day
- you sweat a lot
- eating a lot of table salt along each meal can turn your urine highly concentrated

Another cause is UTI; urine analysis and culture will determine/exclude it.

Hope it answered to your queries!
Dr.Albana