What does lip swelling indicate?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Oct 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a 47 year old male and about 3 months ago I started to get random lip swelling, sometimes the top lip sometimes the side, sometimes the bottom. First time it happened it lasted about 6hrs. It didnt' happen again for about 3 weeks when I woke up to it. Then it started to happen more frequently. Now it happens about every two to three days and I also have noticed a bump that looks like a spider bite on my writs that has appeared on both writs at different times that gets a little itchy then goes away within an hour or so.

Also this morning I went for an hour walk with my dog, came home had 3 eggs and right after I noticed the round bump on my wrist form, no lip swelling today but I feel a little lightheaded. Could it be the onset of diabetes?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute urticaria most likely

Detailed Answer:
Hello

You seem to have developed acute urticaria.

It is an allergic reaction and can develop an allergy to any food cloth or any new product which you have recently used.
Take an antihistamine tablet like Cetirizine 5mg daily at night for a week.

This should help you.
Do try to find out the cause.
As you mentioned you developed such reactions with egg.
Avoiding the causative agent is the only permanent solution.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee