What does light spotting indicate while on Mirena indicate?

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I have a the mirena for just under a year. No periods sense the first one after getting mirena fitted. I don't normally have break through bleeding but I did yesterday. Some light pink qith one large dark red streak. Could that be implant bleeding? I I did have some slight cramps yesterday and my breasts were a bit so but they are fine today and no nausea. I did have sex around thw time when I would have been ovulating but he also pulled out and sense I don't get a period anymore I'm not exactly sure where I am in my cycle. Should I just wait a couple days and take a pregnancy test?
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:

You have no chances to be pregnant

Detailed Answer:

If you have Mirena ,haven't had menstruation(you don't have ovulation )and while you have had intercourse you have use pulled method.

There are no chances to be pregnant.

Vaginal bleeding can be a sign of menstruation.

To have peace of mind you can take a pregnancy test 12 days after intercourse.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 29 minutes later
I thought with the Mirena you still Ovulated? is that not the case? I'm still having a light pink/brown discharge this morning but my period wouldn't come till next Monday at the earliest if im tracking things correctly. again I haven't had a period for almost a year though. is it possible my period is just early and this is what it looks like now with the mirena? I have some cramp it but that's about it. no nausea or breast tenderness today. I did have some beast tenderness over the last couple days. 12 days is today so I'll take a test tomorrow and if it's negative I won't worry much. thank you!
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

It is only your menstrual cycle.

Detailed Answer:

You can ovulate while you have Mirena ,but a sign of ovulation is regular menstrual cycle.

While you doesn't have menstrual cycle about one year it means that you do not ovulate.

Better take a pregnancy test at home.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra, OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine