What does leukocytes in urine during pregnancy indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
I am 37 weeks pregnant. My urine tests throughout pregnancy have varied - from nil to Leuc +++ and protein. The last three times showed a high PH, Leuc +++ plus trace protein. In each instance no infection was found on testing. I do have increased and sometimes smelly discharge and need the toilet a lot. Otherwise no symptoms. I have read that Leuc can indicate something more sinister like bladder cancer. Should I wory?
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are suffering from UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

No,your findings doesn't indicate urinary bladder cancer. It is indicative of urinary tract infection(UTI).
UTI is indicated by presence of excessive leukocytes in urine.UTI is common during pregnancy.

You need few more investigations like routine hemogram,Renal function test,Urine culture and sensitivity and Ultrasound of abdomen. Further investigations can be done if needed..

At present you may need proper antibiotics after culture and sensitivity report.
You also need to correlate the reports clinically.
You shouldn't worry. You will be alright after treatment.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does leukocytes in urine during pregnancy indicate? 24 minutes later
That's enormously helpful thank you - although each time my urine has been tested it says I do not have an infection. So no infection but still persistent luecocytes. Dos this make any difference?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back

There must be some source of infection which is producing leukocytes.
Up to 5 leukocyte is a normal finding.
You need proper evaluation.
Ultrasound of KUB region and culture/sensitivity of urine should be done to find out the cause.
You can consult nephrologist.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX