What does lazy heart valve mean?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: what is a lazy valve
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later

A lazy heart valve (even though not used by all practitioners) is a valvulopathy (affection of one or more of the heart valves). Usually detected with an EKG or Stethoscope ( by a trained or experienced physician) or heart ultrasound.

Most often the term is associated with left atrium and the left ventricule) is not able to prevent blood from running back from the left ventricule to the left atrium after the heart pumps up blood from the left atrium to the left ventricle.

You have other valves like the tricuspid, pulmonary and aortic valves that could also be affected and cause a lazy heart valve (lazy because it is no longer performing its usual functions).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad