What does lateral malleolus and distal fibula mean in a lab test report?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Please explain the lateral malleolus and the distal fibula. Also, marrow edema with pathologic enhancement in the medullary space of the distal fibula in layman terms please
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
bone disorder

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.

Fibula is one of 2 bones which are present in lower leg. Fibula is the smaller one. Distal means- the lower part of bone. And lateral malleolus is the lowest part of fibula, this is small bony prominence.

Marrow edema is MRI finding which describe increased density inside the bone. This can be caused by fluids, hemorrhage or fibrosis and this all is in most cases caused by trauma, injury or osteoporosis. There was probably some trauma that damaged inner parts of bone, and there is no typical fracture but there is marrow edema and it may caused prolonged pain after injury but in most cases it subsides within several weeks. If this is not caused by trauma then arhritis or osteoporosis should be considered and these are treated with medications. Wish you good health. Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 8 hours later
Also, please define for me: a micro metallic susceptibility artifact seen on an MRI of this leg. Also, explain cortical discontinuity noted posteriorly on axial image. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi again

Detailed Answer:
Mettalic susceptibility means that there is some small spot seen on MRi inside the bone which has characteristics of metals. It may be seen if in the past some metal particle entered the skin. However, in most cases ti is noticed because of artifact and it means that MRI image shows this metal even if it doesnt exist usually as a result of patient movements during the imaging.

Cortical discontinuity means that there are changes of outer bone layer,cortex. This is seen as a result of injury.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar