What does it mean when your tongue gets red?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My tongue is red and irritated. It feels numb in the areas that it is red and burns when I eat most foods. Sometimes even water burns. The redness is spreading. I have taken pictures 30 days ago and again today. Now there is a deep crack in the middle of my tongue. Another crack seems to be starting on the side of my tongue now. My Dr. and my Dentist thought it might be Stomastis but I take B12. The medications I am currently taking are B12 3x/week, daily multiple vitamin, Buproprion XL, premarin, valcyclovir on a daily basis. My Dr prescribed Miracle Mouthwash 5 days ago that helps when it burns really bad. Otherwise no clue as to what is going on.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Check your iron profile and B12 level in blood.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. It is better to check your Iron profile and vitamin B12 levels. Complete blood count also should be done.
You can take vitamin B complex, avoid spicy and hot foods. You can apply zytee oral gel. Antibiotic also will be required. I would suggest Co amoxiclav for this. This is available only on prescription.
If you send the pictures of tongue then it will be more helpful.
Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng