Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

What does it mean to have high haemoglobin?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 849 Questions
My Mom is 82 years old and seems to be in great health, she recently had routine blood work done and her hemoglobin was high, the same test was done again and the hemoglobin was still high. Her family doctor is sending her to a hematologist, and cancer doctor. What does it mean to have high hemoglobin?
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could be polycythemia vera.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.
High hemoglobin means polycythemia. The levels would be above 18g%. It can be physiological or pathological.
Your doctor might be suspecting polycythemia vera, a myeloproliferative disorder.
Patients with lung disorders, staying in hilly regions and smokers can also have polycythemia.

Other investigations necessary are enlarged spleen, WBC and platelet count (which can be increased), vitamin b12 levels and cytogenetic studies are essential.

Any further details, happy to help again.

Dr. Jyothi BL.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor