What does it mean if sperm is yellow and gel-like?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Fri, 28 Sep 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am just curious. I am 61 yo male with a very inactive sex life. I recently ejaculated and the seme n had a yellow tinge and the consistency was almost gel like. Can you advise what this could mean?slager
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's possible due to inactivity.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, due to inactivity stagnation happens inside the seminal vesicles (a pair of tube-like structures which hold and secret sperm and liquids). So, that's why after a prolonged period of abstinence, the first few ejaculates may appear with a yellowish hue, gel-like or even clump-like substances. With regularization, it'll be back to usual consistency and color again.

Some additional info regarding this: a few foods and supplements (multivitamin intake, excessive daily intake of some sulfur-rich foods, i.e. broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, garlic, onion, nuts), dehydration can also make such yellowish tinge (while avoiding those stuffs for a few days will bring it back to normal color).

However, in your case, it seems more likely due to the abstinence period only, and there's nothing to worry at all.
Do ensure to drink adequately to remain well hydrated throughout the day.I believe your recent check-ups (including the CT-scan reports) went okay too.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Arnab Banerjee, Critical Care Specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee