Owl Image

What does it mean if a child urinates often?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hello doctor,
My baby is 25 days old and he is urinating frequently almost 10 times a day. Is this normal ??? And is it safe to use nipple shield??
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urine frequency is normal for this climate/ you can use nipple shield

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern.

In this climate urinating 10 times per day is very common for babies of this age. It is the sign of a healthy baby.

As long as the baby is feeding well, gaining weight appropriately and otherwise active and playful when awake, you need not worry about the urine frequency at all.

You can use nipple shield, but only if the nipples are inverted or retractile nipples or if you have any local infection at the nipple. Otherwise it is not indicated.

I am not telling that it is contraindicated, but, I am only telling that nipple shield is to be used only when required and not regularly.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,