What does "inferior vena cava was abnormal" mean in an echocardiogram report?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Homeopathy
Question: I just received back my echocardiogram report, and it says the inferior vena cava was abnormal. the inferior Vena cava was dilated with respiratory size variation greater than 50%. Should I be concerned? I've had some chest pain in recent months and they have attributed that to anxiety type issues.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sounds normal variation

Detailed Answer:

I think the dilatation of the inferior vena cava more than 50% would not cause chest pain. I would agree that anxiety has a role in this.

The finding on ECHO report could be incidental and not necessarily pathologic. Only a examining Cardiologist would be able to correlate the findings correctly. IF he/she is not concerned I think you should leave it as it is and go ahead finding other reasons for chest pain other than known anxiety.

Why can't you try a short term antianxiety therapy that is a trial and error solution some times.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. What I'm really looking for is an explanation for my fatigue, it's now extreme, and affecting my ability to get through my days. It's been an issue for the last 10-13 years with Systemic Scleroderma, but for some reason in the last 6 months it's almost become unmanageable. So tired at times and muscle weakness as well. I've always been a high energy person. I work full time, but also have a ranch that I work with my husband which is a 30-40 hour a week endeavor. I believe my anxiety comes from my worry about getting everything done, and the concern if the fatigue gets worse, though I believe I'd be comatose (:D) if it gets any worse.

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Fatigue is commonly reported in Sy Scleroderma

Detailed Answer:

yes definitely there are some days when the episodes of autoimmune disease are quite high it would be difficult to manage on such days and weeks. The reasons are many and not explained properly in various studies. They will not be able to manage the daily routine. Since you are very active and help your husband in a ranch you would be experiencing it.

The best way to beat it is by giving yourself rest without scheduled work. It does not mean that you sleep all day, I encourage patients to stay as physically active as they possibly can be. Water exercises, easy walk around, divert your mind on something interesting. If required you can use asisstive devices like walker which will reduce strain than active walking. Take your mind off it and listen to body whenever fatigue sets in.

If you are looking for some medication I think you better be off them. You can go for massage or acupressure that relieves your muscles.