What does increased BP indicate?

Dr. Achuo Ascensius

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have taken Irbesartan 300mg/25mg ie co approval for a number of years. Recently my BP has risen to as much as 170 over 100 and typically is 155 over 85/90. Should I seek immediate medical assistance. Is this very serious?
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medical assistance would be good

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the query

It is normal once to have BP variations especially after exercises or after a little stress. In such cases, the rise in BP is physiological rather than pathological.

However, a BP that stays persistent high or increased indicates there is a problem. Increase in BP values of more than 15-20mmHg/10mmHg are a call for concern for individuals who are already on treatment.

If a physiological cause has been ruled out, the remaining option will be that the hypertension has gone a little severe. This could be associated with some complications such as atherosclerosis or renal complications.

Detailed examination thus is required ( including auscultation of vessels e.g. carotid to rule out atherosclerosis) and a few work ups such as doppler ultrasound of main vessels, creatinine(and eventual calculation of GFR), urinalysis, cholesterol level etc. as your Doctor deem necessary after the examination.

After, the doctor might add some drugs in case of any abnormality if not he might consider to add a third antihypertensive drug. Weight loss and regular exercises are known to reduce blood pressure.

Hope this helps. If you have further query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards
Dr Achuo
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad