What does hydrostatic hypertension mean?

Dr. Rogers Nditanchou

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My daughter is in Hospital having a knee replacement and now they have found out she has Hydrostatic Hypertension....what is this
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hypertension due to excess fluid retention Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, Hydrostatic hypertension means an increase in blood pressure due to excess amounts of fluids in the body. Excess fluid can be caused by the child taking more than enough infusions, lack of sufficient urination r excess amounts of Sodium in the blood. The commonest cause is generally due t excess taking of infusions, low urination and excess salts. the treatment will usually involve use of diuretics (drugs that increase urine output), reducing fluid intake and reducing Sodium intake. IN general, these measures should be sufficient. Please feel free asking further follow up questions in case you got any specific concerns. thanks and kind regards as I wish her the best of health. Dr Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 47 hours later
My daughter is 50 yrs old and has just had knee replacement surgery, every time she tries to stand up, she feels like she is going to pass out.
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Too early to worry so much. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I am afraid it might be important to ask again from the doctors. It is difficult for hypertension to cause such standing difficulties. It is possible that a low blood pressure instead (orthostatic HYPOTENSION) could cause such an instability. It might also be important to critically understand her feelings. If the feeling comes from her eyes kind of turning or the fact that she feels weak at the level of her limbs. This distinction is critical. It is however not very rare to experience a feeling as such, especially if the surgery took a lot of time. She should be getting better in the days ahead. A well controlled blood pressure, nice diet XXXXXXX in vegetables and fruits, for the moment should be sufficient. I do think, especially if she has never experienced this in the past, that she should be so worried, it should be getting better soon. It is however imperative that she obtains a proper blood pressure control. thanks and kind regards as I wish her the best of health. Dr Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D