What does high level of SGPT and SGOT indicate?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
Sir,
My brother is 22years old. His height is 5.7feet. His weight is around 75kgs. Yesterday he had an LFT where it was found that his SGOT is 96 & SGPT is 105. Also, his hemoglobin is 10.6. May I know the reasons for high level of SGPT & SGOT and low level of hemoglobin?
Also please suggest the remedies.
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Indicates mild liver damage

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I would like to answer your query.

Elevated SGOT and SGPT indicates liver damage. The values are only two times increased and indicates mild damage or obstruction. It could be drug induced hepatitis. The values are very low to signify major types of viral hepatitis.
It also could be alcohol induced, however, all enzyme values in LFT are necessary to confirm the probable cause.
Low levels of hemoglobin in males is commonly due to malnutrition. Alcoholics commonly have malnutrition and this could explain both.
Malnutrition otherwise due to imbalanced diet also can cause anemia.
If you could attach the whole report along with clinical history (reasons for test), I might be able to help more.

From the above, I can only say that there is mild liver damage along with anemia.

If you have any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Jyothi BL

Follow-up: What does high level of SGPT and SGOT indicate? 3 hours later
Thanks for you reply mam. I am attaching the reports herewith. Please find the attachments.
The list of enclosures is as follows:
1. LFT Jan-14
2. LFT Jul-14
3. Ultra sound Jan-14
4. Patients medical history.
5. Medications prescribed (18/07/2014)
The reasons for which tests were conducted (both in Jan-14 & Jul-14):
a. low appetite
b. irregular stools
c. gastritis
Please suggest the remedies for controlling these levels. Also may i know the probable reasons for this? What diet shall be preferred in this condition? What can be the worst consequence of this ailment?
In the second last mail I have mentioned Low appetite by which I meant to say that he doesnt have appetite but he still takes some food, hardly one chapati.And gastritis meant he has faces gas problem sometimes due to which he gets some pain in his chest along with breathing problem. After going for a brisk walk immediately he got relieved from the chest and breathing problem. Please suggest the remedies.

Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup regularly with LFT and watch for jaundice

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Going through all the reports, it appears to be mild hepatitis.
My suggestions are as follows
1. As cause is not identified, and ultrasound is normal, treatment to be continued with addition of liver protecting medications. You can take a prescription from your doctor.
2. His anemia is due to his low appetite and is nutritional cause. He should improve his nutrition or take supplements. You can give him any nutritional supplement rich in iron and vitamins.
3. He should control his weight and lipid levels should be under control.
4. Avoid alcohol
5. Avoid hepatotoxic drugs, specifically in high dose.

Food should be regular, less spicy to avoid gastritis. Breathing problem could be secondary to gastritis as it got relieved.

Importantly, if possible - cause needs to be identified for raised enzyme levels, otherwise levels are not high enough to suspect any sort of major damage.

Do regular followup, once in 3-4 months for liver function. Watch out for jaundice closely.

Any further queries, happy to help again.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Dr. Jyothi BL