What does high bilirubin level indicate?

Posted on Mon, 21 Jul 2014 in Cancer
Question: I got my blood test back from annual check up and my biliruben count is at 1.8 and should be under 1.3. How concerned should I be and the other is how do I control that to get it lower? Also,my Eosinophils 8 instead of 7...Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for sending the question.

These are excellent questions. 1st of all bilirubin will sometimes fluctuate around the normal level. At 1.8 by do not see any need for major concern. It is reasonable to check this number again in a couple of months. As long as your liver enzymes were otherwise within normal limits this might represent a mild fluctuation around the normal level. In a small portion of patients the bilirubin level will be slightly elevated. This is referred to as Gilbert's disease. It is not necessarily an illness that will cause any problem overall long-term, but these patients will have a very mildly elevated bilirubin level.

Regarding the eosinophils again there is fluctuation when we check blood counts. Eosinophils can sometimes be elevated in the setting of allergic reaction but sometimes can fluctuate up and down around the normal level. I am not sure if the number you are referring to is an absolute number or a percentage. This is something that is usually outlined on the complete blood count report.

Overall I do not think there is any significant need for concern. It would be reasonable to repeat these tests again in a few months. I assume that you are otherwise feeling well.

Thank you again for sending your question. It is a pleasure and a privilege to take part in your healthcare concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist