What does high alkaline phosphatase levels indicate?

Posted on Fri, 13 Jun 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi. I recently had a complete physical-the results came back quite good but the alkfas was at 151. What does this mean? The doctor didn't seem alarmed. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
if no symptoms or signs then monitored

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Alkaline phosphatase is found in high concentrations in the liver, kidney, bones and intestines.

In adults however the alkaline phosphatase that is circulating is primarily in the bones and liver

Lab reference ranges vary slightly from one lab to the next but in most the upper limit is around 120.

it is important to note that the reference range of this test applies only to 95% of the population and 2.5% of normal persons will have values above this range.

In addition there are some medications that can also cause an increase.

Normally when the value is increased the doctor may check for any symptoms or signs of liver or bone disease. He or she may also check whether any of your medications may have contributed to the rise.

If there are no symptoms or signs ,the other liver function tests including GGT are normal and the alk phos is raised less than 1.5 times the upper limit ( as in your case), then normally the procedure is just to monitor and repeat in 3 to 6 months.

Summary: if raised less than 1.5 above upper limit with no other problems then just monitored

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Thanks so much for your answer. The doctor, in his phone message, as I said, didn't seem alarmed. But I want too see him and talk to him about it. (The blood work also showed that the liver was fine.) Once again, your answer was clear and very helpful. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
you're welcome

Detailed Answer:
Please feel free to contact with any other queries
Dr. Michelle Gibson James