What does high N-Terminal-proBNP levels indicate?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i got my blood tests from my cardiologist, and the levels of Pro-BnP aminoterminal are 500. please tell me if i have severe heart failure as the cardiologist wants to do a angioplast, but i am over 300 lbs and i am afraid a person my size will have complications. please help me. another doctor told me i probably have Chagas which is a viral infection,
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NT-proBNP is very sensitive for heart failure.

Detailed Answer:

I agree with your cardiologist. You have high level of N-Terminal-proBNP (NT-proBNP) and it suggests immediate need of intervention. It is the most powerful independent prognostic markers for all heart failure stages.

However, you need clinical correlation and exact status of coronary vessels can only be assessed by angiography.

You don't worry about your size. There is no relation in between procedure and weight of the patient.

Angioplasty is done under conscious sedation, it means that patient is remained aware of surroundings but patient don't feel any pain.

Catheter is inserted through groin area and whole procedure is done under fluoroscopy.

Don't get afraid and go for procedure. It is very safe and you will be monitored under expert hands.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari