What does high ESR after Neuroblastoma tumor treatment indicate?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 2 May 2014 in Cancer
Question: My last question about my son, he finished 12 treatments of radiation not chemo. He had 4 cycles of chemo then surgery to remove tumour then finished radiation in January. Could find the edit button. If there's one.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Please, can you kindly type it out again? Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I a so sorry to hear that your son had cancer. I am however happy that he was able to receive both chemotherapy and radiation treatment after surgery and hope he is getting better already. Please, I do not have access to the first question you asked. I would be very grateful if you can type it out again so that I can address it fully. I will be right here to respond to as soon as it makes it way here. Waiting. I wish you and your son well. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
My 11yr old son finished treatment for a Neuroblastoma tumour back in January, he is cancer free as of 5th March. Resent blood test showed that his Erythrocyte sedimentation rate was high at 28mm/hr (1-15) & Lymphocytes was slightly low at 1.0 (1.5-5.0). His urea was slightly high 7.7mmol/L (2.5-7.5) & his haemoglobin 117g/L (115-155),haematocrit 0.35 (0.33-0.45) are at the low end of the scale in brackets. Would theses results be because of the treatment he has been through or should I be a little concerned. Should I do a follow up blood test in a fee weeks to see if his counts have settled? Not due to see oncology Dr again till XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Control the results in 4weeks! Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for taking the pains to type it all out again. Yes, it would be a great idea to control these results in a few weeks to come. However, there is really no big abnormality that should send you panicking here. the time lapse between the cancer treatment and now is short and for sure the body has not yet gotten to its best possible states. In all, just be calm. Control these results in 4weeks and we would for sure have better values. They are not the best possible but acceptable and reassuring. I wish him well. Stay strong, motivated and positive about your son's triumph. Feel free to ask for clarifications and more information if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.