What does greenish discharge from the breasts indicate despite discontinuing breastfeeding?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Its been 3 yrs that I stopped nursing my kid. But I noticed that milk like breast discharge (yellowish and greenish) still coming out. Before that itching starts in the breast.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Infection most likely.

Detailed Answer:

Following is my reply:

1) Such coloured discharge from the breast is seen when there is an infection of underlying milk-producing glands.

2) You need to see a surgeon in person for examination and get culture and sensitivity of the breast secretion to identify organism infecting and treat the same with suitable antibiotics as per the report.

3) Examination by the doctor will rule out the possibility of any other pathology if at all involved.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Soumya, OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee