What does glucose 100,creatinine serum 1.12 and EGFR 58 indicate?

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Question about kidneys...glucose is 100 creatinine serum is1.12 egfr is 58 and carbon dioxide is 30 ... I'm a 49 year old female
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
EGFR is slighlty low

Detailed Answer:

Glucose 100 mg:
Is it fasting glucose or post lunch glucose value?
Fasting glucose less than 110 mg/dl and post meal sugar less than 140mg/dl is normal.
Here you have normal blood glucose.

Creatinine:
If it is less than 1.2 is normal value.
Your serum creatinine is 1.12 - that's within normal limits.

EGFR(Estimated glomerular filtration rate):
If it is more than 60 or higher indicates normal kidney function.
In your case you have 58, it means decrease your kidney function. It could be related to aging of kidney or could be due to known kidney disease.

Carbon dioxide:It measures bicarbonate level in your blood.
If it < 30 is normal value.

Here all your blood values are normal except EFFR which is low.However all these values vary slightly among different labs.You need to discuss with your doctor for clinical correlation and evaluate underlying cause.
You also discuss with your doctor about medication if you are taking any medication currently.Some times some medication cause low EGFR.

If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 11 hours later
I'm concerned about the iron and other numbers out of range... What should I do
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Abnormal values.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your previous query where you mentioned TIBC 138, Iron serum 205, Iron saturation 60. Here, the iron saturation and Iron serum levels are increased and TIBC is decreased. It indicates iron over load state.
Iron over load causes fatigue, joint pain, abdominal pain, weakness, changes in skin color and heart abnormalities. Do you have any these symptoms with it?

At this point of time, I would refer you to a hematologist for further evaluate the causes of iron overload. Usual causes are vitamin B12 / Vitamin B6 deficiency or it could be due to liver inflammation or due to increased intake of iron supplements. After clinical examination the doctor will order blood tests and ultrasound scan to know the specific cause. If deemed necessary he/she will suggest you to undergo Phlebotomy (Removal of blood) to decreases iron overload state.

Until you visit a hematologist, I will suggest you to avoid iron and Vitamin C containing food and supplements. Avoid alcohol if you consume.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.

Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 35 hours later
I do have a lot of fatigue / weakness and occasional joint pain/ daily muscle pain . I don't take iron sups or vit c and avoid red meat and drink 1-3 drinks a week . I've been doing a 7 week cleanse for leaky gut and liver cleanse.. My brother was diagnosed with hemochromatosis last year so maybe a genetic thing .iI will follow up with Dr.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Primary Hemochromatosis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up query.

I am sorry for delay in giving response.

Yes,Hemochromatosis is is an inherited disease.It is caused by defects in genes which control iron absorption.
According you family history you may have primary Hemochromatosis.
You have symptoms like fatigue,weakness and abnormal blood values hence it is time for evaluation by hematologist.
Please keep follow up with your doctor.
I wish you a speed recovery.
Stay healthy.

I f you do not have any queries you can close the discussion and rate the answer if possible.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D