question-icon

What does frequent vomiting and diarrhea suggest?

Posted on Mon, 11 May 2015
Question: my daughters tempter keeps ready 96.3 she always reads 98.6 she was throwing up yesterday and going to the bathroom. she hasnt thrown up since yesterday around 2;00 pm
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
can occur as result of infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Though an increase in temperature is the normal response to infection, there can also be a decrease in temperature.

Acute vomiting and diarrhea can be due to viral or bacterial infection though viral infections are more common.

Dizziness occurs due to the infection itself and also as a result of the fluid loss from vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Fluid and electrolyte replacement are the most important aspects of treatment.

She should use either an oral rehydration fluid packet that may be available at your local pharmacy or a sport drink such as gatorade that also gives both fluids and electrolytes.

Peptobismol or dramamine would help with any future episodes of nausea and vomiting.

If there is no present nausea, vomiting or diarrhea then she can eat as normal but may want to use bland foods initially.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James