What does frequent urination in a 5 year old indicate?
POSSIBILITIES SUGGETED BELOW
Hi... I have gone through your query in detail. I don't think that this is urinary tract infection as the tests and culture have come back as negative.
1. Diabetes insipidus.
2. Unexplained polydypsia causing excessive urine.
3. Voiding dysfunction
I will discuss each on by one.
1. Diabetes insipidus - In this case the kidneys or the brain lose the capacity to retain salt and hence in the process of loosing salt the body tends to lose more water too in the form of high urine out put and this in turn makes the body to consume more water. But as you say the quantity is less with each urination, this is unlikely possibility - but nevertheless worth ruling out.
2. Unexplained polydypsia causing excessive urine - some times, the for no valid reason tend to drink more and urinate more and this is called pollakiuria and this is self limiting. So do not worry.
3. Voiding dysfunction - In this case due to the initial habit of retaining urine even when the bladder is full, the bladder gradually becomes hyperactive and i turn starts contracting to even very small amount so urine accumulation in it. So this is the reason for urgency and more number of times urination. This is can be diagnosed objectively by doing an ultrasound scan of the abdomen where in bladder wall thickness would be increased.
Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Frequent urination in 25 year old male
- What could frequent urination indicate
- Frequent urination in 12 year old boys
- 16 year old male frequent urination
- Frequent urination in 11 year old boys
- Frequent urination in 29 year old man
- Frequent urination at 32 years old
- 25 year old frequent urination
- 10 year old frequent urination
- 10 year old boy and frequent urination