What does frequent urination in a 5 year old child indicate?
I have two possibilities left on my list, pls go through them
Hello ma'am and welcome.
Thank you for writing to us.
I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I am glad all the test results were normal and there was no infection, diabetes or leukemia found.
This leaves us with two possible conditions, and I shall list them both out for tou:
1. Pollakiuria: Also called daytime urination syndrome, children with this syndrome urinate almost every 5-10 minutes (as described by you about your daughter) and espcially only during their waking hours. I noticed in your detailed query that you mentioned your child to go to the loo only when she is awake and not when she falls asleep. This is typically seen with pollakiuria.
It is commonly seen in children between the ages 3-8 years, and is mostly associated with stress. It does not require treatment and subsides on its own within 3-6 weeks (possibly lesser)
2. Overactive bladder: Occurs due to neurological symptoms that cause uncontrollable spasms of the muscles of the urinary bladder or those surrounding the urethra, resulting in frequent urination.
I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.
My pleasure entirely ma'am
Hello once again ma'am.
I am glad I could be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to write to me about anything, I am always here to help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Frequent urination in 25 year old male
- What could frequent urination indicate
- Frequent urination in 12 year old boys
- Frequent urination in 11 year old boys
- Frequent urination in 29 year old man
- Frequent urination at 32 years old
- Home remedy for frequent urination in a 3 year child
- 25 year old frequent urination
- 10 year old frequent urination
- 10 year old boy and frequent urination
- Not getting proper sleep, don't want to take sleeping pills. What to take?
- Radiation done for tongue cancer. Started getting pain. How to overcome...
- How to get rid of swollen and painful inner labia?
- Have bradycardia. Got positive stress test and qrs-t angle on ekg. Risk...
- Suffering from chronic acute bronchitis and recurrent pneumonitis. Safe...
- Hard bump appeared on inner thigh and lower abdomen. What could be...
- Have severe dry eye. On Restasis. Used moisture pads. Nothing helped....
- Have osteoporosis. Is it safe to stop taking fosomax while on calcium...
- Sudden pop sound in back. Experiencing pain and hot flashes. Took...
- Suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and bipolar 2. Why am I...