question-icon

What does frequent sharp pains behind the navel suggest?

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015
Question: my 16 year old daughter has frequent sharp pain behind belly button. ongoing for almost a year. doctor also says she has colitis. Dr says he doesn't think its a hernia but also gives no advice as to how she can resolve her pain.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Further diagnostic tests advised as following...

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the medical history of your daughter and understood your concerns.

There might be various causes to her sharp pain behind the belly button:
- she is 16 years old: has she had her first periods? If yes, does the pain occur around her periods? Sometimes, ovulation in young ladies is associated with such pain as it has been going for 1 year now.

- another possible cause could be intestinal parasitic infections. I advise to run examination of stool for ova/parasites. An abdominal ultrasound is also advised to determine the right diagnosis.

For the moment, I advise to take anti-spasmodic to ease the pain. Apply warm clothing to ease the pain.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist