What does focal asymmetry in mammogram indicate?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 8 Jan 2015 in Cancer
Question: My mammogram returned a "focal asymmetry" in the right breast. I am 59; no history of breast or other cancer. Going back for another mammogram tomorrow. Never heard of this before. What is it?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
most likely it will be OK

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Routine mammogram detects these findings commonly. Then it is the usual practice to get further testing done.

There are various causes for such finding, most of which are benign. Rarely this can be malignant. In fact that is the purpose of screening mammogram, to detect cancer at a very early stage.

They will do a diagnostic mammogram on you and if that is benign then nothing else required. Otherwise further tests like ultrasound or needle aspiration may be required.

Overall, the probability of cancer is low in this situation.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further follow up queries.