What does extreme sore throat with fever after sexual encounter indicate?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: My wife and I had a threesome with another girl (regrettably). My wife and the other girl performed cunnilingus, fingering, kissing and rubbing pussies together. I had sex with both women using a condom (different one for each girl), however the condom did break with the other girl but I pulled out immediately. 48 to 72 hours later my wife woke up with a sore throat, fever, aches and pains. She met with a doctor who prescribed her XXXXXXX clondimycin 300 mg and said her throat was soar and it was not a virus but bacterial. I have not experienced any symptoms but am afraid that we have both contracted something. Seeking advice.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection of the throat

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

It is very hard to tell whether it is bacterial or viral clinically. I am happy you were careful with a condom so there is no risk of contracting an STD, and pulling out immediately was the right thing to do.

Here is what I suggest

1. I would rather prefer a broader spectrum antibiotic like Amox with clavulunate than Clindamycin which is a very narrow spectrum antibiotic
2. Gargle the throat 3 times a day with betadine gargle
3. Watch out for fever
4. If the symptoms dont improve or you end up with symptoms then I suggest you to get complete blood count, urine orutine and std panel sent.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 minutes later
My wife is allergic to Amox so I am assuming that is why the doctor prescribed Clindamycin.
Could it not be a case of oral gonorreah or would I have symptoms as well?
The doctor did a swab for strep and it was negative and from what my wife understood that is whey the Doctor said it was bacterial and not viral..is this a correct assumption?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

It cannot be oral gonorrhea for a simple reason that gonorrhea would have whitish exudate and your wife would have been more toxic with high rising temperature.

If she is allergic to amox then my second drug of choice would be oral cephalosporin. However since she has already started the medication and there is clinical improvement there is no need to change it now.

It is very hard to tell bacterial or viral clinically without any blood test. I am not sure how your doctor has come to a conclusion. Most doctors cant differentiate viral from bacterial just clinically.

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist