Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

What does expanding indent in head indicate?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10427 Questions
I notice a small indent in my head a couple months ago when I had a headache. I never usually got headaches, but I figured my mom and brothers get them often so it must be hereditary. Yesterday I had a migraine (4th day) sharp pain from my forehead to my right eye. When I put my hand on my head to ease the pain I notice the indent had gotten longer. It is from my scalp (just past the hairline) almost reaching my right eyebrow. What could this be?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Usually not related to a disease. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. most of the head malformations exist and do not involve the brain. Craniofacial disorders are the result of abnormal growth of soft tissue and bones in the face and head. Craniofacial differences can result from abnormal growth patterns of the face or skull, which involves soft tissue and bones causing the indentations to form. The indentation in the skull with no history of trauma to the area can be associated with vitamin D deficiency, calcium deficiency, parathyroid irregularities, dehydration, a pinched nerve in the neck, childhood/adult fall/concussion (whether or not discovered, diagnosed, or treated at the time), and wearing sunglasses, a helmet, or headphones in the affected spot. Chronic migraines can also cause such indentation. You can discuss with your doctor for few blood tests and an MRI, a CT scan, or maybe a skin biopsy, with potential eventual referral to a neurologist. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor