question-icon

What does excess bleeding from the pouch indicate after an illiostomy?

Posted on Fri, 22 Sep 2017
Question: My wife had an illiostomy over 6 years ago. As I have been almost always assisting in changing the pouch and wafer. Today she has experienced while emptying her pouch lots of blood. She is on an aspirin once daily regimen and took 4 Advil today as well. She also is on Myrbetriq 25mg daily for the past month. As we are quite concerned and if this continues tomorrow we will seek medical care. But right now I would appreciate your opinion.
Thank you XXXXXXX Dickerman
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (58 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
In most cases such bleeding is caused by mucositis or small angiodispasia in bowel and occasionally from stomach edges. in most cases this is self limiting and there is no need for some specific therapy. It would be good to do red blood count just to see how significant this bleeding is. if there is anemia then some further tests should be done which include scintigraphy or enterogaphy but as I said,I don't think it will be required.

if ileostomy was done because of malignant issue then tumor relaps is possible but also not likely.
so there is no need for any urgent measures,unless some serious symptoms occur such as hipotension, skin paleness or loss of consciousness .
Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon