What does "evidence of a suprapatellar joint effusion"?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Mon, 13 Oct 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Thank you. What does "evidence of a suprapetellar joint effusion" mean?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fluid on the knee

Detailed Answer:
thanks for contacting HCM

You are concerned what suprapatellar effusion is? The short answer is fluid has developed on the upper part of the knee. This frequently referred to as water on the knee or knee bursitis. After injury or surgery your body is trying to protect the knee by allowing more fluid to accumulate in the bursa or sacks around a knee. If the fluid impedes movement or causes pain we remove the fluid and inject cortisone to help the healing process.

hope this answers your question. please contact me again with your questions or concerns
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj