What does evelated ALT level indicate?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: i have alt of 256, ast of 116 and ldh of 880. Any idea what is wrong?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
labs deranged correlate clinically

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Let's talk the labs one by one
Your ALT is raised. Normal is 20 to 60 range.yours is markedly elevated. Now there are thousands of reasons for deranged live function and needs to be correlated clinically.
Here are some where alt raises

Liver damage (acute viral hepatitis, toxins/drugs including acetaminophen overdose, acute fulminant hepatitis)
Peak levels do not necessarily correlate with prognosis.
Tumor necrosis
Conditions associated with moderately high levels of ALT are as follows:
Chronic liver disease
Alcohol abuse
Cholestasis
Heart damage (heart attack, heart failure)
Kidney damage
Muscle injury
Hemolysis
Heatstroke (level dependent on extent of tissue damage)
High consumption of vitamin A
Conditions associated with slightly high levels of ALT are as follows:
Fatty change in the liver
Alcohol abuse
Cirrhosis
Mononucleosis
Drugs (ie, statins, aspirin, barbiturates, HIV medication, herbs)
Shortcut liver enzyme is raised and needs to be sorted out for a cause.

2) AST should be between 8 and 34 for a male.so that is elevated too. Once again needs to be correlated clinically for a cause.which are pretty much same for ALT.

3) LDH should be no more than 280 and yours is raised .again many conditions from lungs to lymph nodes to lymphoma to leukemia to liver diseases etc raise it.
To me all three tests indicate your liver is in trouble. Now the detailed history some more work up and a complete clinical correlation would be needed to find out what is that.
Mean while if you drink stop that, if you use some medicines like we discussed above stop them or reduce them and consult your doctor as soon as possible to be out of the woods.
Nut shell labs abnormal and not enough to correlate and connect the dots.that would need a hepatobiliary consultant so get one.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX