What does enlarged ovaries indicate?

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 23 Jun 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: The description and size of ovaries, Right ovary: 4.2 x 2 x 1.4 cm approximate volume 6.1 cc contains follicles. Left ovary: 5.3 x 2.9 x 4 cm approximate volume 31.9 cc, image is mildly enlarged. Contains follicles. No large cysts or masses.
What does this mean? My doc said wait 3 months and do ultrasound again. I'm having pain and can't just... See what happens. Please help
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dont worry

Detailed Answer:

You don't need to worry because your ovaries are slightly larger than the normal rate.
But enlarged images of both two ovaries are from follicles(or follicular cysts) .

Follicular cyst - A follicular cyst develops each month and contains the small egg within it. The sac ruptures during ovulation and the egg comes out of the cyst. Sometimes the cyst can grow larger than the normal size which is up to 3 cm. If the sac that holds the egg doesn’t break open to release the egg, it can grow, anywhere in size from 1 inch to 4 inches across.

I tell you not to exercise or participate in sports until the cyst becomes small or goes away completely. This is because vigorous activity might cause your ovary to twist on itself which is a condition that requires emergency care.

Follow-up by doing ultrasound as the doctor said is to make sure that these follicular cysts are getting smaller or are gone completely.

All the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T