What does enlarged heart mean?

Question
I was told I have and enlarged heart what does that mean?
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a finding, not a disease...

Detailed Answer:

By definition, an enlarged heart (cardiomegaly) is an echographic finding where the cameras of the heart are increased in size. This is reflected with thinner heart muscle walls and heart is not working properly. It is not a disease, but a finding.

There are various causes to enlarged heart, including:
- heart valves diseases
- cardiomyopathy (diseases of heart muscles)
- hypertension, etc.

In other words, these diseases and conditions cause damages to heart muscle or make it harder for the heart to pump blood. So, it is necessary to find out the underlying cause and get it treated properly to prevent further damages.

Hope it answered to your queries! Let me know if you have further questions!
Dr.Albana