What does elevated WBC in a urinalysis indicate?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Cancer
Question: My husband is on Hormone Therapy (Zoledes) His RBC-URINE HPF was 0-3 on 3/31/16 and on 4/4/16 it was 11-25 Mucous ,UR Sed, QL, Automated Count showed present on both tests. His WBC's, UA/ HPF showed none on 3/31/16 but 3-5 on 4/4/16 . He has no pain, no symptoms, no urinary issues. His Dr is now ordering a culture. What is he looking for? and are these numbers considered to be very problematic? He has stage 4 prostrate cancer with Met's to the bone. He has been on Hormone Therapy (Zoledex) for once every 3 months for the last 9 months. He was on this tx before two years ago and was off for 1 and 1/2 years before PSA started to rise again. Thank You very much.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your doctor wants to find if there is an UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. A raised pus cell count indicates an urinary tract infection and so does a positive culture with a bacterial colony count of more than 10^5 per cu.mm. Your doctor had grown apprehensive on getting high pus cell count on one occasion but since the latter reports have not confirmed about the same, he has ordered for a culture.

The other things like periodic PSA monitoring and periodic administration of Zoledex are just a part of the regular monitoring and management.

Let me know if I could help further.