Owl Image

What does elevated AST level indicate?

Question
I drink a lot of weekends partly because of stress, partly because I enjoy it. My recent blood test in XXXXXXX after not having a drink for five days (normal) showed an ALT of 57 and an AST of 26. (Oct 2013 ALT 30 AST 23) My cholesterol was very high at 247 (Oct 2013 206) but that runs in my family. I currently take 5mg of Liptor a day. I used to eat very well but fell off the wagon, I have since reversed that. I exercise regularly walking 5-8 miles per day for the last 15 years or so. All of my other tests were in the normal range. I also smoke a 1-1.5 packs a week. Seriously, I know a lot of people lie on that. I go days without one but can't kick it. I certainly know I shouldn't drink so much or smoke. Do these results show that I may have liver disease?
Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Minimal elevation of AST.No liver disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for giving me an opportunity to address your query.

I have gone through the reports thoroughly and I appreciate the interest for sharing the same.Your blood reports are absolutely normal except for the raised enzymes and cholesterol.

Both total and LDL are pretty high and this can be attributed to smoking and drinking.On the contrary your HDL is high due to exercise which is good.

I would not suspect alcoholic liver disease in your case because only ALT is elevated and AST is well within normal limits.ALT levels restore to normal if you try to minimize/quit drinking.

I were to suggest eating a healthy diet low in saturated fat, stop smoking and moderate your alcohol consumption which is very important to prevent further damage.

I were to switch to Lipitor 10mg for a better control of your cholesterol and repeat lipid profile after 3 months.

Hope this answers your query.

Follow-up: What does elevated AST level indicate? 13 hours later
Thank you for you prompt response, Dr. XXXXXXX I usually have a healthy diet, grilled chicken, salad w/low fat dressing, smoked salmon were a daily staples for years. I fell off the wagon because I'm a stress eater but have gotten back to it the last couple of weeks.

I've been getting an aching pain to left bottom of my right rib cage the last couple of weeks. I have IB but I have been eating yogurt every morning for the last 5-6 years and that tames it so I don't think that is it. I'm not quite sure though. What is your opinion on this pain?

Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Praveen 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do an abdominal scan if necessary

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for writing me back.

I am impressed by your healthy food habits.I don't think the pain is related to IB.
I were to first examine(abdomen) and depending on the findings would like to do an abdominal scan to rule out hepatic or gall bladder related conditions.

Hope this answers your query.