What does ejection fraction increase from 15% to 25% for myocarditis indicate?

Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My younger brother aged 18 yrs old is admitted in a ICU hospital for Myocarditis he was brought in with his heart pumping 15% blood and now his condition has increased to 25% and he has come out of problems of shortness of breath, and fcontinuous cough and headache also fever.

I wanted to know if he is out of Danger and what is your say on this?
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes he is out of danger, care should be taken to prevent fluid overload

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
As I start I would like to reassure you that YES , as the symptoms have resolved and the heart pumping in on increasing trend, he for sure is out of danger and rather I would say He is on path of recovery.
Now in viral myocardium complete recovery over a period of 3- 6 months is very commonly seen and the LVEF should normalise for your brother.
Post recovery there is ample of date to suggest that cardiac medication, like beta blockers and ace inhibitors helps to fasten the recovery.
Also restricted activity during the period will help the heart to gain strength and be back to normal.
A repeat 2d echo after 3 months to see the amount of recovery is advised.
Do forward the reports if possible and let me know if any clarification needed on any part as I would be happy to help.
Regards Dr Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad