What does echo cardiogram showing a blockage indicate?

Question
8 yrs. ago my husband had an aortic valve replacement. Every morning we both walk 30 minutes, if the weather is bad he'll go on our treadmill for 20-25 minutes.I make sure he eats healthy and he does listen. He went for his 6 month checkup to his cardiologist and had an echo cardiogram which showed a blockage. On Monday 7/14 he has to take the 4 hr. stress test. His cardiologist him if he gets tired or shortness which he doesn't. I am so worried about him, because he does everything right. Please help.
Thank you,
XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
No worries, clinical state reassuring

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

There are very interesting revelations in the case history of your husband, which of course should reduce why you really should be so worried. He listens to advise, practices healthy life style practices and complies to medical treatment.

It is important to note that a blockage does not mean for sure there is something very serious. It actually depends on the degree of the block. It becomes a call for serious concern why this exceeds over 80%. Your husband, despite the practice of regular exercise, adequate and compatible for his age, does not experience shortness of breath. This is reassuring especially when it comes to intensity of any probable heart failure. Clinically, judging from your presentation, I really do not think you need to be this weary.

A stress test is not only used for diagnosis of any potential heart malfunction or failure, but is also important for the follow up of a patient, and could decide modifications in the drugs the patient is taking, and decide on the appropriate physical activity the patient would require, compatible to his health state.

It s not because a stress test is prescribed therefore that there is certainly something too serious or that you need to worry this much. His clinical state is reassuring, and his life style with regards to exercise, diet and medications are up to date. You really need not bother as such. Kind regards,

Dr Bain

Follow-up: What does echo cardiogram showing a blockage indicate? 47 hours later
I just want to thank you for the answer. I feel much better and relieved.

Sincerely, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks also and good health

Detailed Answer:
Thanks and regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain