What does drastic drop in BP indicate?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi,
About a week or so ago, I had written to health magic about my increasing cholestrol level and had attached a report. I was advised to take Atrova 20 mg for about 3-4 months and then test. However, I started with just 10 tablets ( just to see if it is too strong or has any other side effect) and used only 7 out of the 10. I tested my cholestrol level on Sunday and surprisingly found it very controlled....total cholestrol dropping form 260 to a good 157 and LDL going down from 163 to a 100. How do I interpret this result ? Is it the effect of just the tablets ? Also, does it mean I should stop the tablets or consume it for a lesser amount of time ? How frequently should I be testing the cholestrol level to see if it is still under control ? Can you help me ?
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see details

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
A drop of 103 mg% in total cholesterol in one week is unlikely with or without medication.
1. Can you upload your previous Lipid profile? Since how long you have this problem and what medications you have tried?
2. If you smoke/ have high blood pressure or any history of cardiac event or stroke? As per your last discussion, you do not have diabetes. What is your usual blood pressure?
All these questions help in understanding the need of medication and monitoring of cholesterol.
Waiting for your reply.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder
Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 4 days later
1. Loading two reports, one which is previous to what I have loaded, one which I took very recently i.e. today ( aug 10)

2. Don't smoke. BP is always normal. No history of cardiac arrest or stroke to me. My dad did die of heart attack at the age of 58.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see below.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
1. I have seen all the three reports dated 19/7/14, 3/8/14 and 10/8/14. The LDL level in three reports are 183mg %, 100 mg% and 95 mg%. A reduction of ~50% in just 7 days, that too with 20mg dose of atorvastatin is really unexpected. I would like you to discuss your reports with the laboratory which has done the tests. The first report may be having some error. You must talk to the pathologist concerned. i hope he will also agree that the results are unexpected.
2. In the absence of diabetes and proven cardiovascular disease and with LDL level of 95-100mg% I will not advise statin to any of my patients.
3. The best way out is to consult your lab regarding these results and let us know their views. A future course of action can be decided after that only.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder