What does distortion in breast mean in a mammogram?

Dr. Achuo Ascensius

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: my mamagram came back saying I had a distortion in my left breast could you tell me about it thankyou
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a mamographical abnormality

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
thanks for the query

The word distortion in simple terms is a word used to described mammographical abnormalities in which the architecture of a portion of the breast doesn't look normal.

Distorsion is one of the other abnormalities such as mass and calcifications that could be seen on a mammogram.
When an abnormality is detected, there is need for a diagnostic mammography that will really lay empahsis in a bit to say if its more of a malignant or benign abnormality.

A good number of abnormalities seen on screening mammograph usually turn to be benign lesions in which case no further management is needed except other wise. However, for the few that turn out to be malignant, further management is required.Masses and calcifications have a higher predicitive value for cancer than distortion. you need not to worry much, get the second mammogram done. Mammogram detects cancerous abnormalities at a much earlier stage and So, for now, you need not worry that much because even if the lesion is cancerous, there will be a greater chance of stopping it.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards
Dr Achuo

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T