What does disappearance of nodular enhancement mean?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: I asked what does disappearance of nodular enhancement mean. wife had brain cancer and an mri in oct april and on july 2014 and in the mri it mentioned the disappearance of nodular enhancement. she has been on multiple alternative treatments since april.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It means improvement in the condition.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

Disappearance of nodular enhancement means improvement in the status of lesions.
Nodular enhancement is among one of the types of enhancement patterns in MRI or CT scan.
Enhancement of lesions are due to loss of blood-brain barrier in variety of conditions like inflammation,infection,tumour etc.
Loss of enhancement suggests appearance of blood-brain barrier and it can be taken as a positive sign.However,it should be correlated clinically.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX