Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

What does diffuse hypoechogenecity of thyroid gland without increase in size and vascularity mean?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 2094 Questions
Hi Doctor,

I am writing in behalf of my sister. She has thyroid problem for a long time, and she was not consistent in taking medications for that. Today, doctor suggested a scan and in the scan report, the "impression" is mentioned as "Diffuse hypoechogenecity of thyroid gland without increase in size and vascularity could be sequelae to chronic thyroiditis" and they suggested for an "FNAC". What does this mean? Is this a test to find the presence of any cancer? Is there anything to fear? Any surgery is required for this?

Please reply.

Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Thanks for sharing your concerns here,
Your sister is having Thyroid Problem, but please let me know is it Hypothyroid or Hyperthyroid. For this a thyroid function test including a thyroid stimulating hormone level (TSH), thyroxine level (T4 level) and a thyronine level (T3 level)
Please let me know is she taking any regular drug.
Your sister's Thyroid ultra Sonography showing hypoechogenicity, hence we should know nature of the disease process.
FNAC is a simple procedure and cytology will tell us nature of pathology. Most of them are benign ( non cancerous) and in the worst case scenario, if it is malignant, proper surgery may be required.
Please do not worry and go for FNAC, there is nothing to fear.
I hope this information helps you and if you have any further query please feel free to ask.


Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor