Owl Image

What does diffuse hypoechogenecity of thyroid gland without increase in size and vascularity mean?

Question
Hi Doctor,

I am writing in behalf of my sister. She has thyroid problem for a long time, and she was not consistent in taking medications for that. Today, doctor suggested a scan and in the scan report, the "impression" is mentioned as "Diffuse hypoechogenecity of thyroid gland without increase in size and vascularity could be sequelae to chronic thyroiditis" and they suggested for an "FNAC". What does this mean? Is this a test to find the presence of any cancer? Is there anything to fear? Any surgery is required for this?

Please reply.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Thanks for sharing your concerns here,
Your sister is having Thyroid Problem, but please let me know is it Hypothyroid or Hyperthyroid. For this a thyroid function test including a thyroid stimulating hormone level (TSH), thyroxine level (T4 level) and a thyronine level (T3 level)
Please let me know is she taking any regular drug.
Your sister's Thyroid ultra Sonography showing hypoechogenicity, hence we should know nature of the disease process.
FNAC is a simple procedure and cytology will tell us nature of pathology. Most of them are benign ( non cancerous) and in the worst case scenario, if it is malignant, proper surgery may be required.
Please do not worry and go for FNAC, there is nothing to fear.
I hope this information helps you and if you have any further query please feel free to ask.

Regards.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D